When we performed at The Magic Castle last year I did a routine based on crazy, outdated laws that are still on the books. I wish I'd seen this site when I was writing the routine.
Here are some samples:
- It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.
- Moose may not be viewed from an airplane.
- In Los Angeles a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap. Consent should be given prior to the event, as is carefully stipulated.
- A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.
- Oral sex is considered to be sodomy.
- It is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss.
- Molesting butterflies can result in a $500 fine.
- Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street.
- The Chico, California, City Council enacted a ban on nuclear weapons, setting a $500 fine for anyone detonating one within city limits.
- It is illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep.
- Cats may not run loose without having been fit with a taillight.
- It is illegal to dispose of used razor blades.
- The marriage of imbeciles and feeble-minded persons is prohibited.
- Connecticut still retains an old law forbidding any kind of "private sexual behavior between consenting adults."